Egg rolls are the perfect Asian appetizer when you’re in the mood for a delicious breakfast. Making your own egg roll wrappers is relatively easy, but it can be time-consuming – and messy!
Why not save yourself some time and buy ready-made egg roll wrappers from your local grocery store? You may be wondering where to find egg roll wrappers in the grocery store. We can answer that for you! Read on to know more.
Every grocery store is different so egg roll wrappers may be in different places. More often than not, you’ll be able to find them in the produce section of your local grocery store near tofu or refrigerated salad dressings.
Because egg roll wrappers are uncooked, they are usually kept in aisles with refrigerators to maintain freshness.
Other areas may include a deli section with fresh meats or, failing that, egg roll wrappers can also be found in global food aisles, especially another Asian deli (if they have refrigerators).
Do grocery stores sell egg roll wrappers?
The majority of grocery stores will sell egg roll wrappers, especially larger stores like Walmart or Costco. You can also buy egg roll wrappers online from Amazon or grocery stores that have an online presence.
If you’re not sure, you can always check online or telephone your local store to save yourself a potentially wasted trip.
What is the best brand of egg roll wrappers?
Nasoya and Wonton are the most popular egg roll wrapper brands. Egg roll wrappers usually have a simple mix of ingredients including eggs, flour, and water, so the difference in taste between brands is minimal.
Egg roll wrappers alone are soft enough. They are filled with delicious pre-cooked foods including shredded cabbage, meat, and vegetables.
Do grocery stores sell vegan egg roll wrappers?
Nausea and Twin Dragon are two brands that produce vegan egg roll wrappers. If you’re not sure if a product is vegan, always read the packaging or ask a staff member at your local grocery store.
Storing Egg Roll Wrappers
A good rule of thumb is to store items the way they are found in the store. Refrigerated products should also be refrigerated at home. Products found on the shelf usually do not need to be refrigerated.
Egg roll wrappers should be refrigerated after purchase. Egg products should be consumed within a week, although the use-by date will always be printed somewhere on the packaging.
You can always freeze egg roll wrappers if you don’t plan to use them right away. Egg roll wrappers can be stored in the freezer for up to three months. It’s best if you buy multiple packets of egg roll wrappers that you plan to use at a later date.
Substitutes for egg roll wrappers
This is a common scenario. You desperately need a packet of egg roll wrappers and you arrive at the grocery store only to find there are none left. What do you do?
For starters, don’t panic! Egg roll wrappers can easily be replaced with tortilla wraps, spring roll sheets, or even rice paper rolls. While they may not be as good as egg roll wrappers, they just might save the day!
Simple Egg Roll Wrapper Filling
The best thing about egg roll wrappers is that you can get away with filling them with anything!
Egg roll wrappers are usually filled with shredded cabbage, shredded pork, and other vegetables such as grated carrots and finely chopped celery. Some people like to fill them with pizza toppings like cheese, pepperoni, and a drizzle of tomato sauce. Even cheeseburger egg rolls are a thing!
Sweet Egg Roll Wrapper Fillings
If you have a sweet tooth, here are some mouth-watering recipes that will tantalize your taste buds!
Cheesecake Egg Rolls
You will need:
- Strawberries – 2 cups
- Granulated sugar – 10 tbsp
- A pinch of kosher salt
- Vanilla extract – 1 tsp
- Vegetable oil – 1 tsp
- 12 egg roll wrappers
- Cream cheese – 8 ounces
- Sour cream – ½ cup
- Water – 2 tbsp
- Powdered sugar for the finishing touch
- Combine the strawberries, water, and 2 tablespoons sugar in a saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil. Stir frequently until the mixture thickens, about 3 to 4 minutes. Then set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the cream cheese with the remaining sugar, sour cream, salt, and vanilla. Stir the ingredients until combined.
- Take an egg roll wrapper and lay it on a flat surface in a diamond shape. Pipe some of the mixture down the center of the wrapper to form a line. Fold the roll from the bottom and pull the sides until the roll is formed. Then seal the layer with a few drops of water.
- Once the egg rolls are filled, you need to fill a large wok with oil and place it on medium heat. Once the oil begins to bubble, gently place the egg rolls into the skillet using a spatula or pair of tongs. Hot oil is extremely dangerous so be extra careful.
- Fry the egg rolls for a minute on each side or until golden. Once cooked, place the egg rolls on a plate lined with paper towels to absorb any excess oil.
- Finally, take your powdered sugar and lightly dust each egg roll before serving it with the strawberry sauce.
before you go
Egg roll wrappers can be found in the dairy, deli, or world food sections of most grocery stores. These versatile wrappers can be filled with a variety of sweet and savory options.
If you plan to use the egg roll wrappers within a week, storing them in the refrigerator is your best option. Thankfully, you can freeze them, which is great if you don’t plan on using them right away. Whatever the occasion, you can’t go wrong with egg roll wrappers!